William Smith founded a distillery on the outskirts of Thurso and named it Wolfburn
Tax records show it being the largest distillery in Caithness with annual production of 125,000 litres.
The exact date of its closing is lost in time, with some records
indicating that it may still have been producing whisky in the 1860s.
In 1872 the first Ordnance Survey map of the region was published and
this showed the distillery to be in ruin, yet in 1877 when the next
edition of the map was released the words ‘in ruins’ had been removed. It may be that the distillery worked intermittently towards the end of its past life.
Construction of new Distillery started a short walk downstream from the old site.
Production of New Spirit began.
Wolfburn distillery .
The next generation of Wolfburn single malt whisky
is expected to be ready to enjoy in 2016