Discovery of several springs of the purest, crystal
The Distillery construction was completed and production
started in October
Increased demand required additional warehouses to
Operated by the Distillers Agency
Taken over by Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. (SMD)
The Distillery was connected to the national Grid
A sad day, as the Distillery horse and cart are replaced
by a tractor
The furnaces of the two pot stills were converted
to mechanical stoking
Purchased by Inver House Distillers and reopened.
means Black Hill in Gaelic. An Cnoc
means The Hill
contributor to Haigs blends.
earthen floor warehouses.
Distillery was founded in 1894 following the discovery
of several springs of the purest, crystal clear water
on the southern slopes of Knock Hill. When production
first started, the Distillery was a showpiece. Two
pot stills could turn out 2500 gallons of spirit per
week, motive power being supplied by a 16hp steam
engine. Cottages were built for the workers and their
families, creating a new community around the Distillery.
Much has been done to modernise buildings and machinery,
but very little has changed in the distillation process.
The two originally designed pot stills remain, giving
Knockdhu the same traditional, distinctive flavour
as was first tasted almost 100 years ago.